I have found that one of the most difficult things about growing up in modern America is the fact that while family remains the central unit of shared identity and sense of community, family members themselves are often dispersed broadly across the geography of this massive nation.
For realsies, it is kind of crazy: I live in Washington DC. One set of grandparents is in California, the other in Colorado. One set of aunts/uncles in Seattle, the others in Brooklyn. Extended family in Illinois, Massachusetts, Washington State, Minnesota, and Japan. That's a lot of frequent flyer miles, yo.
Recently, I have found myself lingering on a question that has long perplexed the great philosophers:
How did anyone keep up before Skype?
Luckily, I have had family and friends come through from many places so that they could meet me. This week I got a visit from the SauvaBrauns. Good times all around!
How lucky that I had been practicing my giggle all week. This dude, Abu, was cracking me up big-time. Listen to those crazy sounds! Plus he looks funny! GOL (giggling out loud).
Why did they keep rubbing my belly for good luck?
What is that supposed to mean???
What is that supposed to mean???
I am unclear about this whole cousin terminology business. Second cousins, cousins removed, kissing cousins. Whatever. Abu and Kim and Linh Mai and Bodie are officially my SUPERCOUSINS.
Here is my buddy Bodie. He was showing me all about this fish and its big eyes. What a cool kid! I am very fortunate to have a SUPERCOUSIN like him to look up to! Even though he seems wayyy older than me, I have a feeling we are going to be pretty close as I grow up.
My friend Linh Mai is just outside of the frame. We didn't take any pics together because she had a cold, but I love her so much already. She is going to be the big sister I never had!




No comments:
Post a Comment